Create and Manage Team Growth Plans
The Team Growth Plan
The key deliverable from a retrospective is the Growth Plan created by the team to act on the areas that will help the team to grow and to ask for help from leaders on issues that are outside of the team’s control. The AgilityHealth Facilitator and the team's ScrumMaster will work together during the retrospective on capturing the Growth Items for the team and ensure that the plan is of good quality.
Self-organizing teams function as their own Product Owner for Growth Items. Growth Plan Items are added to the backlog and worked by the team or sent up to Leadership to work. Be sure to fill them out as completely as possible. Just like good user stories, the Growth Plan Items need to be well-defined with clear acceptance criteria.
Here are some examples:
Sample Team Growth Item
Sample Organizational Growth Item
Growth Items also need to be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound.
Building the Growth Plan
During the retrospective, the team will be working to create their top few Team Growth Items as well as their top few Organizational Growth Items. Growth Items are added within the Assessment Results.
On the Team Dashboard, you’ll see the familiar view of the teams listed in Swim Lanes View. Click on the team’s icon to get to that team’s Assessment Dashboard. You will only see the team(s) for which you are the ScrumMaster/Team Admin/Facilitator.
Click on the icon for the team whose survey completion details you want to see.
Once there, hover over the survey you wish to review and click on the Growth Plan chart icon to get to the growth items section.
Once in the Growth Plan section, click on the Add New Item button to get started adding Growth Items.
Add Growth Plan Item Card
When you click on the blue Add New Item button (Grid View) or the + icon in the Backlog column (Kanban View), you will see a pop up Add Growth Plan Item card. The required fields on the Growth Plan Item include Title, Status, Category, Priority and Competency Target(s). These fields are important to provide clarity on what the issue is, whether the team has started to work on it, whether it is something that the team can take or is escalating to leadership (Organizational) and how critical the issue is. Choosing a Competency Target will allow you to tie the Growth Item to a specific competency(s) in the assessment and measure the team's growth in this competency(s) over time.
If the Growth Portal is enabled, the team has the option to pull recommendations from the Growth Portal into the Growth Plan. This is helpful if the team is looking for best practices or needs some guidance to get started.
Growth Plan – Grid View
Your first view of the Growth Plan will be the Grid View. In this format, your team’s Growth Items will be listed out in a table and sorted by rank and/or priority. You can filter out the grid by a number of different options by selecting the drop down arrow to the right of each column’s title.
See below for a list of functions that the grid view provides:
- Grid View vs. Kanban View – This toggle switch gives you the option to stay on the Grid View or switch to the Kanban View (Details Below)
- This button allows you to add a new Growth Item
- This option allows you to export the Grid View into an excel file
- This button will show you all notifications that a team would receive from Organizational Growth Items updated from a MultiTeam level
- This icon will show you the history of status changes that a Growth Item went through as well as who changed the status
- Use this button to edit the already created Growth Item
- You can remove a Growth Item by selecting the delete button
- Keep in mind that when a Growth Item is copied forward from one assessment to the next, they are permanently linked. This means that if a Growth Item is deleted from the current assessment or the previous assessment it was copied from, it will be deleted from both assessments.
You can also move a growth item forward one assessment, from a previous assessment. To learn more, visit What do I need to know about moving and deleting Growth Items?
Growth Plan – Kanban View
For a list of functions that the Kanban view provides below:
- Grid View to Kanban View
- This banner displays the Growth Item count of each Type (Organizational, Team & Individual).
- The icon on the left will open up the current Growth Item and allow you to make changes. The icon on the right will allow you to delete this Growth Item.
- This section displays icons that will show you what Type, Rank, Priority, etc. are set on the Growth Item.
- You can use this option to filter the Growth Items by Rank.
- You can use this option to filter the Growth Items by Priority.
- To view all a list of options for the Kanban View, click on the gear icon to pull up the Customize panel. You can choose to hide certain status bars, change their colors, view a list of icons and chose to hide ones that are not utilized by your team.
Managing the Growth Plan
Building a quality Growth Plan during the retrospective is a great start, but the real work comes as the team takes action to improve in the areas they have identified as the highest priority Team Growth Items. The ScrumMaster of the team will keep the plan visible and help the team to break the Growth Items down into smaller stories and tasks that can be completed within an iteration.
Each iteration, the ScrumMaster will work with the team to identify the highest priority Growth Items they want to work on and identify tasks that they will complete. Tasks will be kept visible along with their other work. During the iteration retrospective, ScrumMasters will review completion and work with the team to identify improvements.
You can use the Kanban board in AgilityHealth to track progress on the Growth Plan. Organizational Items will be pulled and worked by the Leadership Team, so focus on the Team Growth Items.
Kanban board tracking status - In Progress and Done
As you are working on the Growth Items as a team, you can return to the Growth Portal to explore helpful videos and resources on the competencies you are working on.
Videos and Resources for Each Competency
Editing Growth Items
As the team makes progress on a growth plan item, the Growth Plan Item panel is were you will be making the majority of your updates. To edit a growth item, click the edit icon in the upper right hand corner of the card in the Kanban board for that item.
The Edit Growth Plan Item card will open.
Team Admins will mainly add information to the description of the Growth Item, add or change the acceptance criteria and update the status.
Add Notes to Growth Item
You can add notes to the Growth Items by clicking on the edit icon on the card to open the Growth Item and then selecting the Notes tab.
If a Growth Item has been completed, be sure to fill in the Solutions section. By adding a solution to a Growth Item, the rest of the teams within your organization can see how your Growth Item was completed and may be able to use that information in their own journey.
Enter a description of what the team or individual did to complete the Growth Item in the Solutions tab.
Multi-Team Growth Plans
Learn about Creating and Managing Multi-Team Growth Plans.