How do I create a team?
Adding a team is required prior to creating and launching all assessments within AgilityHealth®.
In summary, the steps for adding a Team include:
- Completing the Team Profile with a unique Team Name and the correct Work Type
- Adding Team Members and selecting the correct Roles and Participant Groups
- Adding Stakeholders when necessary
- Reviewing the team's details
In order to expedite the creation of many teams, members, and/or users at one time, as well as quickly make multiple necessary changes, Company Feature Admins can be granted the ability to import and export team, member and user data in bulk.
Note: Assessments can only be launched at the team level. If you are looking to create roll-up teams, please visit these articles: Multi-Teams, Enterprise Teams or N-Tier teams
Add a Team
When viewing the Team Dashboard, in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, click the green ‘Add Team’ button. In the Select Team pop-up, select the 'Team' option and click the Add Team button to go to the Team Profile page.
On the Team Profile page, enter the information you know about a team. We recommend working with the team’s Scrum Master to fill out this information and update it accordingly prior to each retrospective.
1. Enter a Team Name (required).
The Team Name should be unique to that team and easily identifiable. It will be how you find a team to view their data and will also be used when rolling up results from multiple teams in the platform.
2. Select a Work Type (required).
Work Type is an important field when setting up a team. Work Type relates to the type of work the team does but it also dictates which radar assessment options will be available to that team. In some cases, the Work Type also ensures specialized questions are shown within certain radar assessments, such as the TeamHealth® 3.0 Radar.
The most often selected work types in AgilityHealth are Service & Support, Software Delivery, Transformation and Group of Individuals. If you're creating a team that will complete a Talent Development assessment, Group of Individuals is the correct work type. It is important to understand the choices and make the appropriate selection for the team.
Please reach out to your Company Admin if you are not sure which Work Type should be selected for this team.
Learn more about Work Types and which ones are necessary for certain assessment types.
3. The remaining fields are optional.
Preferred Language - If enabled for your company, this field will not yet change anything in the AgilityHealth platform. We are actively working on enabling translations in some of our radars and assessments.
Methodology is often added for teams to help filter results when rolling up results from multiple teams in the platform.
External Identifier is a field your company may or may not use to match teams up with how they are identified in a system outside of AgilityHealth.
The rest of the fields are informational about the team.
4. Select Team Tags (optional).
If available, tag the team with the appropriate selections in this section. A team can have several Tags which will affect how they are displayed on the Teams Dashboard and allow for better filtering of results when rolled up with other teams into programs, product lines, portfolios, or across the entire organization.
These Tags are customizable and you may need to work with your Company Admin for guidance on how Tags are being used by your organization. Learn more about Team Tags here.
5. Click the Create Team & Add Team Members button.
Once clicked, the team will be added to the Teams Dashboard. You can choose to add Team Members and Stakeholders next or come back later by editing the team from the Teams Dashboard.
Adding Team Members
Before adding Team Members, make sure you understand the importance of Roles and Participant Groups in AgilityHealth, as well as the expectations from your company regarding those options. While there is no Team Member threshold, we recommend no more than 12 people be members of an Agile Team.
There are several options for adding Team Members: manually, via Excel template upload, or from existing users in the directory.
1. Add Manually
Click on the Add Team Member button.
In the Add New Team Member pop-up, enter the required fields of First Name, Last Name, and Email. If the email already exists in the directory within AgilityHealth®, you will be asked whether you want to use or update the existing record to avoid duplication.
Be sure to pick a Role and related Participant Groups for each Team Member added. Click Save and Add New if there are more Team Members to add or click Save and Close if this is the last Team Member to add.
2. Upload Team Members via Excel
First, download the Team Members Template in Excel by clicking on the arrow next to the Upload Team Members button. Then, save the file on your computer and add Team Member information to the Excel sheet. Once complete, click on the Upload Team Members button to upload the data from the Excel sheet.
After uploading the Team Members, click the Edit button in each row to add their Role and Participant Groups.
3. Add from Directory
Click on the Add From Directory button if you expect that Team Members have already been added to AgilityHealth® (for example, if Team Members were added by your Company Admin or if the individual was on another team in AgilityHealth® in the past).
After adding the Team Members, review any Roles or Participant Groups that are populated. If these need to be adjusted, click the Edit button in each row to edit their Roles and Participant Groups.
A Role is a function or position each person holds on the team. Roles need to be selected so that Team Members receive the appropriate assessment questions for their Roles and so that data at the roll-up levels can be filtered for analysis across similar Roles.
- If a Team Member is tagged with more than one Role, they will see all the questions assigned to each of their Roles in the assessment.
- In the context of AgilityHealth®, Scrum Master and Team Facilitator tend to be the same thing. We choose to use Scrum Master for the Role Title.
Here are a few things to note, if the team will be taking either the TeamHealth® Radar or DevOps Health assessments. Some companies handle this differently so please check with your Company Admin.
- If the team will be taking the TeamHealth 4.0 Radar assessment, be sure one Scrum Master and/or Product Owner is tagged with the proper Role, so they will receive the quantitative metrics questions for that assessment.
- If the team will be taking the TeamHealth 3.0 Radar assessment and the work type selected in the Team Profile was Service and Support or Software Delivery (generally non-business teams), be sure one Scrum Master and/or Product Owner is tagged with the proper Role, so they will receive the quantitative metrics questions for that assessment.
- If the team will be taking the DevOps Health V2.0 assessment, make sure to include a Role for each Team Member (important when analyzing results) and make sure one Scrum Master is tagged with the proper Role, so they will receive the quantitative questions for that assessment.
Participant Groups indicate additional categories that apply to each person, such as their employment type (ex. FTE or contractor), location (co-located or distributed), or organizational area (ex. Business or IT).
Selecting one or more applicable Participant Groups aids in filtering your results when many teams are rolled up into a Multi-Team, Enterprise Team, or N-Tier Team. They allow visibility into results for specific categories across all teams.
Check with your Company Admin to understand the expectations around Participant Groups.
Once Team Members have been added, depending on how your company has been set up in AgilityHealth, there may be Add buttons in the Team Access column. By default, most Team Members do not receive a notification when they are added to a team and will not be able to see any assessment results for the team until access is provided and this is why there is an Add button.
After a Team Member takes an assessment, they will usually receive an email to create their AgilityHealth account, if they do not already have one, and to view their assessment results. If you want to provide them access to create their account before they have completed an assessment, click Add and they will receive an email immediately.
Adding Stakeholders (Optional)
Stakeholders are not core members of the team but are impacted by their work. They could be Managers, Sponsors, other Product Owners, or anyone the team wants to solicit feedback from on how they’re doing.
Stakeholders are often an optional addition to teams and can be added to or deselected from any team-based assessment, during the creation process.
- Adding Stakeholders to the team level is recommended for teams taking our TeamHealth® Radar assessment as results will not be complete without Stakeholders participating. Learn more about Stakeholders and the TeamHealth Radar.
- Adding Stakeholders to the team level is recommended for teams taking our Program Health and Lean Product Health Radar assessments as results will not be complete without Stakeholders participating.
- Stakeholders should not be added to a team that is only going to take Talent Development or Individual 360 assessments. During the creation of a Talent Development assessment, Stakeholders can be added as Reviewers. Learn more about Talent Development assessments.
The process for adding Stakeholders is the same as adding Team Members, however, it's important to note that unlike Team Members:
- Stakeholders will not be created as an AgilityHealth User when adding them to a team
- Stakeholders will not have access to assessment results
- Stakeholders do not have Participant Groups
When finished adding Stakeholders, click the Review & Finish button.
Review and Finish
From the Review & Finish screen, the Team Profile, Team Members, or Stakeholders can be edited if necessary. You can then either return to the Team Dashboard to see the list of teams or click Go to Assessment Dashboard to create an assessment for the team you just created.