Preparing for the Retrospective
To prepare for the retrospective you will work closely with the team's ScrumMaster in order to:
- Create a team or, if this is for an existing team, ensure their information is up to date
- Create the assessment
- Schedule Assessment
- Educate the Team
- Prepare to Facilitate
Creating a Team/ Updating Team Info
If the ScrumMaster/Team Admin is responsible for setting up/editing the team, team members and stakeholders, you can skip this section.
Prior to the retrospective, you should set up the team, team members and stakeholders.
If your team is already set up in AgilityHealth, you should work with the ScrumMaster to verify the team profile is valid and the team members and stakeholders are accurate, as members may have joined or left the team since the last retrospective.
Create and Launch the Assessment
To create an assessment, you'll begin on the Team Dashboard. Scroll down to find the team you wish to add an assessment for and click on the team's picture. To add an assessment, you'll then click on the green Add an Assessment button in the upper right-hand corner. Visit How do I create and launch an assessment to learn more.
Schedule the Assessment
Work with the ScrumMaster to find a time for the retrospective session that will work well for each team individually. When possible, leverage an existing meeting time for the retrospective to minimize disruption to the team.
Visit our recommended agenda and best practices for scheduling the retrospective.
Educate the Team
You want the team to come to the retrospective feeling ready and excited! Here are the key points that you want to share prior to their first retrospective:
- This is an opportunity for you to dig deeper into your health and performance as a team and develop a plan to grow and improve
- Your leaders support you in taking this time for continuous improvement
- You will identify areas where you need help from leaders and they will review the issues and provide support where it is most needed
Share the radar and the agenda and answer any questions they have prior to the meeting.
A best practice is for teams to attend the "Overview for Teams" presentation when they are first introduced to AgilityHealth. This presentation takes about an hour and is meant to provide clear and consistent messaging and build excitement.
Prepare to Facilitate
Meet with the ScrumMaster to get background information on the team prior to the retrospective. You may want to meet with the Product Owner as well. You will want to ensure you understand the following about the team:
- Background and details on the team
- How the team is structured
- What roles are filled/fully resourced/engaged
- How much turnover the team has experienced
- How the team has been performing
- What performance measures have been used