How do I create and launch a team assessment?
This article will illustrate how to add a team-based assessment, such as the TeamHealth® Radar. The process is different when creating a role-based Talent Development or Individual 360 assessment. If the team is taking a Talent Development assessment, you will need to follow the process for adding a Talent Development assessment.
The steps for adding a team assessment include:
- Create a team, if one does not yet exist. Be sure to select a work type that will work for the assessment you wish to create. Once you have created the team, go to that team's assessment dashboard and add an assessment from there.
- Completing the Assessment Profile with a unique assessment name and the correct Assessment Radar Type and entering retrospective details, such as the date, time and AgilityHealth® Facilitator
- Selecting the Team Members who will take the assessment
- Selecting Stakeholders if the assessment has questions for them to answer
- Choosing launch options that determine who receives assessment links when the assessment is published, determining when the assessment opens and closes, and publishing the assessment, or saving it as a draft
In order to expedite creating multiple assessments, some AgilityHealth users may be able to send batch assessments. Additionally, some AgilityHealth users can also create batch assessments as drafts to be published later using a scheduler.
Note: Assessments can only be launched at the team level and cannot be created for Multi-Teams, Enterprise Teams or N-Tier Teams.
Create a Team Assessment
To create a team-based assessment, you'll begin on the Teams Dashboard. Scroll down to find the team you wish to add an assessment for and click on the team's avatar or name. Once on the Team's Assessments Dashboard, click on the green Add an Assessment button in the upper right-hand corner.
Note: It's recommended that before you add an assessment for a team, you review the Team Members first to ensure their Roles and Participant Groups are correct. You cannot edit those once you are in the process of creating an assessment.
Select Assessment Type
After clicking the Add an Assessment button on the team's Assessment Dashboard, in the Select Assessment Type pop-up, choose Team and click on Add Assessment.
If the assessment type presented to you is Talent Development, you will need to follow the process for creating a Talent Development assessment, instead of following the instructions below.
If the Pulse Check feature is enabled for your company, you may also see Pulse as an option below Team.
- The Assessment Types available in the drop-down are driven by the team's Work Type.
- The Assessment Name should be unique and oftentimes includes the date the assessment covers, such as Q2 2022.
- Once a team takes a few assessments, it's helpful to have an easily identifiable name to distinguish between assessments.
- A Facilitator must be assigned to this screen in order for the post-retrospective feedback assessment to be sent after the retrospective is complete. You can edit the assessment later and assign a Facilitator before the retrospective.
- If you do not yet have a Facilitator for this assessment and if the feature is enabled for your company, leave this field blank for now. At the end of the assessment creation process, in the Launch Options section, you can check Find a Facilitator to allow a Facilitator to self-select for this assessment.
- If you choose the Find a Facilitator path, save your assessment as a draft, instead of publishing it, until you have found a Facilitator and they are assigned in this drop-down.
- Facilitation Date and Time should be filled in if you have that information.
- If you're using the Find a Facilitator option, this information will be included in the email sent to potential Facilitators.
- Leadership Readout Date is the date the results from this team will be shared with leadership - usually results from many teams are combined and shared as a whole.
- Facilitation Duration is usually 2 to 3 hours, depending on if the team is taking the assessment as part of the retrospective session or taking it on their own beforehand.
- This information is also provided to potential Facilitators, if you are using the Find a Facilitator option.
- Location is where the retrospective session will take place. In some instances, this may be virtual.
- This information is also provided to potential Facilitators, if you are using the Find a Facilitator option.
- Campaign is a field you may or may not see, depending on your company's settings. It may or not be a required field, based on your company's settings.
- If enabled for your company, selecting a Campaign is an easy way to group assessments together across multiple teams.
Note: AgilityHealth® Facilitators (AHFs) are 'tagged' in their User Role profiles by AgilityHealth® after they have completed a certification course. If you have a user who should be tagged as an AHF but is not showing up in the list of available Facilitators for assessments, please submit a support ticket.
After you have filled in the necessary information, click on Next Select Team Members.
Select Team Members
Select the team members that will be participating in the assessment. Make sure each Team Member has the right Role as this selection can affect assessment questions and the ability to filter results. If their Role needs to be adjusted, you will need to edit the team before continuing to create your assessment.
Click on the Add New Team Member button if you need to add Team Members who are not listed. New Team Members will be added to this assessment, and to the team so they will also be in the list for future assessments. Be sure pick the correct Role and Participant Groups for new Team Members.
When you are finished, click on Next, Select Stakeholders.
Select Stakeholders (Optional)
Not all assessments need Stakeholders. They are important in some radar assessments, such as the TeamHealth® Radar, Program Health Radar and Lean Product Health Radar, but in many cases, not required. If you do add Stakeholders here, be sure to add more than one. This will ensure anonymity in their results when filtering. Learn when Stakeholders are necessary.
Select the Stakeholders who should be sent the assessment. You can deselect any Stakeholders who should not receive this assessment.
Click on the Add New Stakeholder button if you need to add Stakeholders who are not listed. New Stakeholders will be added to this assessment, and to the team so they will also be in the list for future assessments. Be sure pick the correct Role for new Stakeholders, to help when filtering assessment results.
When finished, click on Review & Finish to review and publish your assessment, or save it as a draft.
Review and Launch
The Review and Finish page has several functions. On this page you can:
- Delete the assessment
- Edit the Assessment Profile, Team Members and Stakeholders
- Preview the assessment questions that Team Members and Stakeholders will receive
- Choose your Launch Options
- Send to everyone, send to only Team Members, send to only Stakeholders
- Set the start and end dates for the assessment (when the assessment opens and closes)
- Set the leadership readout date for when team results will be grouped with other teams and shared with Leadership
- Select options for roles/participant groups, finding a Facilitator, and sending the post-retrospective feedback survey
- Save the assessment as a Draft, if you are not ready to launch yet
- Publish the assessment
Before you launch your assessment, you can click the Preview Questions button to view the questions Team Members and Stakeholders will receive.
There are generally three approaches to the timing of when Team Members and Stakeholders, if applicable, will take their assessment and when the team's retrospective session is scheduled. The approach being used for this assessment will influence the choices you make on the various options in this section.
Remember, not all assessments have Stakeholders, so if this assessment does not have any Stakeholders, that may change your selections.
The Assessment Start and End Date determines when the assessment is open for Team Members and Stakeholders to access. Whether or not they actually receive an invitation via email to get into their assessment is controlled by who is selected in the “Send To” options.
As you launch your assessment by using the Publish button, you can either send invitations to Team Members, Stakeholders, or Everyone. If you’re not ready to send them to anyone, use the Save as Draft button (if you are using the Find a Facilitator option, use the Save as Draft button).
So let’s go over the three launch scenarios:
Approach #1 is when Stakeholders get 1-5 days to take the assessment on their own but Team Members take the assessment together. Then, the retrospective will happen 1-5 days later.
- In Approach #1, the retrospective would happen on the Facilitation Date and Time you chose on the Assessment Profile screen and the Facilitation Duration time is probably closer to 2 hours, because the team will have already taken the assessment together.
Approach #2 is just like Approach #1 except with this approach, Team Members will roll right into their retrospective after they finish taking the assessment together. In this case, Stakeholders will still get 1-5 days to take the assessment on their own.
- For this approach, the Facilitation Date and Time you chose on the Assessment Profile screen should be for set for the start time the team will take the assessment together, and the Facilitation Duration would be closer to 3 hours, to allow for both the team's assessment taking time and the retrospective.
Both Approach #1 and 2 have the same options at launch. The assessment start date is the date you wish your Stakeholders to be invited and the end date is when you expect the team to be finished with the assessment taking. Note that Facilitators can still continue to be able to refer to the radar and build a Growth Plan even after the assessment end date. These dates are just for Team Members and Stakeholders being able to take the assessment itself.
If you’re using Approach #1 or Approach #2, choose the “Send to Stakeholders” option since they will be the only ones getting the invitation on the assessment start date. Then, just before the team is going to take the assessment, come back in and edit the assessment, scroll to the Team Members section and click the “Send to All” button in that section. All Team Members will then receive their invitations.
Approach #3 is when Team Members and Stakeholders will all be taking the assessment on their own time (usually over the course of 1-5 days). Then, Team Members get together later to go over the data and build a Growth Plan in their retrospective.
- In Approach #3, the retrospective would happen on the Facilitation Date and Time you chose on the Assessment Profile screen and the Facilitation Duration time is probably closer to 2 hours, because the team will have already taken the assessment on their own.
For approach #3, you would choose “Send to Everyone” before choosing “Publish”. This sends both Stakeholders and Team Members their invitation on the assessment start date.
Choose Start Date and Time
The default start date is the current date and time but you can adjust these to when you want the assessment to be open for responses for whichever audience you chose in the "Send To" options. Emails will automatically be sent out on the selected date and time, as long as you have Published the assessment. If you choose a date and time that occurs before you hit Publish, as soon as you hit Publish, emails will be sent to the audience in the "Send To" options.
Choose End Date and Time
The end date and time is when you would like the assessment to be closed, which means respondents can no longer submit their assessment responses. The default date is 7 days from the date the assessment was created but will change based on adjustments you make to the start date. You can adjust the start date, and then adjust the end date, to match your expectations.
After your assessment is published, if you need to extend the end date and/or time and it is past that date and/or time, you can still edit the assessment and extend the date and/or time. This will reopen the assessment and allow for additional assessment submissions. Learn more about the End Date.
Leadership Readout Date
The leadership readout date is the date team results will be shared with leadership. Usually, results from teams in the same line of business or portfolio will be grouped together and shared with leadership as a whole. This date can be any time after the start date and is not affected by the end date.
Allow Participants to select their Roles/Participant Groups
If this option is selected, Team Members and Stakeholders will be presented with a screen to select their Role(s) and Participant Group(s) when they click on the link from the email asking them to complete the assessment.
Use this option when you want to have participants determine what their primary Role on the team is and which Participant Groups they belong to. In most cases, this is not necessary as their Roles and Participant Groups should have been added when creating the team, or when editing the team before creating the assessment.
Please note that for the TeamHealth Radar and DevOps Health Radar, some questions vary by Role so it's important to have those selected before launching an assessment to the team.
Find a Facilitator
If a Facilitator has already been entered for this assessment on the assessment profile page, this option is disabled.
If this feature is enabled for your company and you did not select a Facilitator on the Assessment Profile page because you need to find one, check this box and save your assessment as a draft. The system will send out an email to all your company’s active Facilitators with the retrospective time, date and location and allow them to sign up to facilitate the assessment. You’ll receive an email notification once a Facilitator has been found. Be sure to edit the Assessment Profile section and fill in the potential time and date for the retrospective session before you hit the Save as Draft button so potential Facilitators have all the details they need in the email.
Read our Find a Facilitator FAQ for more information.
Send post retrospective feedback assessment
By checking this option, a brief assessment will be sent to Team Members asking how the Facilitator did and whether they found value in the retrospective. The survey will be launched after the Facilitation Date has passed.
This option is not available for an assessment until a Facilitator has been selected for the assessment and added to the Assessment Profile. This option can be enabled later by editing the assessment, if you do not have a Facilitator for this assessment yet.
Learn more about the Facilitator Assessment.