Session Purpose and Outcomes:
- Send an invite with a clear purpose, deliverables and agenda. Include all team members on the invite. Managers may be included on the invite but make sure they are aware that this meeting is for the team, and they will be debriefed afterwards.
- Set up the team and stakeholders in AgilityHealth® or review and update the existing team and stakeholders. Work with the ScrumMaster to accomplish this task.
- Follow this tutorial on setting up teams Set Up and Manage Teams.
- Set up the assessment
- Follow this tutorial to learn how to set up an assessment How do I Create and Launch an Assessment.
- Send the survey to stakeholders in advance so that they have time to respond prior to the retrospective.
- Educate the team
- Provide the Overview for Teams presentation if the team is not familiar with AgilityHealth®.
- Prepare for the facilitation
- Review the questions for the radar: TeamHealth 2.5
- If you are not familiar with the team, meet with the ScrumMaster and/or Product Owner to get some background information prior to the session.
- For a team tagged as Service and Support or Software Delivery (generally, non-business teams), either the ScrumMaster and/or Product Owner will need to answer the quantitative metrics questions. Send them the questions in advance so they can gather the data before they take the survey.
See Facilitator Quick Reference Aids for additional tips on how to facilitate and talking points. For teams that are not co-located, see How do I Facilitate a Virtual Retrospective.
- Complete the Assessment: Once the team is familiar with the survey questions, you may want to send the survey in advance (we recommend no more than a week in advance). This keeps the meeting time down to closer to two hours, or can free up more time in the retrospective for discussion and developing the growth plan.
- Small Group Breakout to Review each Dimension: Breaking into small groups increases participation and gets the conversation started. Smaller groups of 2-3 discuss an area of the radar to identify the top gaps they see and report back to the larger group. If you have a small group, have the pairs take more than one dimension to review.
- Group Discussion and Analysis: Have each small group report back their observations on the dimensions they reviewed. Review the comments for each dimension, as well. Support the group in identifying any patterns, themes and relationships as they discuss and analyze the radar. See the How do I analyze team radar results article for guidance.
- Identify Top Gaps: Gather the list of opportunities from the analysis and use dot/straw voting to select the few top items the group wants to focus on.
- Write 2-3 Growth Items for the Top Gaps: Form small groups to work on stories for the top 2-3 items and then present to the rest of the group for feedback. Make sure the team has at least one organizational growth item and one team growth item.
- Next Steps: Facilitate a discussion with the team to determine how they will work together to keep their growth plan visible and incorporate the growth backlog items into their sprints. If any growth items are not complete (story needs improvement, acceptance criteria are missing, etc.), document who will take the next step to complete them, and by when.
- Session Retrospective: Gather feedback from the team on what went well, what could be better, and any ideas that they have, so that you can continue to improve as a facilitator and the team can reflect on how they want future sessions to go.
- Small tables for group discussion and collaboration
- Sticky note pad and markers for each table
- Projector, screen and laptop/PC (to display assessment results during group discussion)
- Sticky note pads
- Sharpie markers
- Flip chart markers
- Post-it Flip chart pads
- Easels (2-3)